Tatkal ticket booking is meant for passengers who have to undertake a train journey on short notice. It is mainly meant for passengers who have immediate plans for travel. The tatkal ticketing window opens 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train. However, passengers do come across various booking status like waitlist, RAC, or not getting desired berths while opting to book tatkal tickets. In certain emergency situations, Passengers who have booked tatkal tickets may have to cancel their travel tickets. In such a scenario, one must be well aware of the Tatkal cancellation charges. Indian Railways revises the tatkal cancellation charges from time to time and hence having a knowledge of them aids passengers in making informed decisions. The cancellation charges do vary as compared to the general reservation ticket booking.
Tatkal Booking Window
The tatkal ticket booking window opens 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the train. Tatkal charges have been fixed at 10% of the base fare for second class and 30% of the base train fare for all the remaining classes. As per the Tatkal booking rules, one passenger can book a maximum of 4 tickets per user ID. The bookings for Tatkal AC tickets begin at 10 am and for non AC Class, the bookings start from 11 am.
Tatkal Ticket Cancellation and Refund Rules
If the PNR status of the booked tatkal tickets remains in waitlisted/RAC status, then you can cancel them about half an hour before the scheduled departure of the train. In case, if the waitlisted tatkal tickets did not get confirmed, then they would be automatically cancelled and the passengers would be refunded. In the case of RAC or the waitlisted tickets, the refund will be given after the deduction of the clerkage charges.
For Tatkal tickets booked as e-tickets
If you book e-tickets (Tatkal) through the IRCTC website, you can cancel either one passenger or other passengers for the IRCTC train ticket. But you should take proper care while cancelling the tatkal tickets. If the booked tatkal ticket featuring the identity details is canceled, then the complete ticket gets cancelled. In the case of partial cancellation of Tatkal tickets, a refund will be given only for waitlisted Tatkal passengers.
In case of partly confirmed or family tatkal ticket, featuring confirmed as well as waitlisted tickets, a full refund will be issued post the deduction of the clerkage charges.
Indian Railways grants complete refund of confirmed Tatkal tickets under certain conditions:
- The train is delayed by more than three hours at the passenger’s boarding station.
- The train follows a diverted route that you don’t want to travel.
- If the train follows a diverted route wherein your source and destination stations do not come in that route.
- Your seat/berth gets allotted in the lower class and you wish not to travel. In case, if you happen to travel in the lower class, you would get a refund of the difference in the Tatkal and Tatkal charges.
- In the case of Premium tatkal, you will not get any refund if you cancel your confirmed ticket.
IRCTC Tatkal Cancellation Charges 2020
If you happen to book Tatkal tickets through the IRCTC website and want to cancel, then you must be well aware of the Tatkal cancellation policy 2020. As per the policy, no refund will be issued to the passengers with confirmed tatkal tickets. If a passenger has a travel ticket with waitlisted or RAC status and gets confirmed after the preparation of the final charting, then such a ticket would be considered as confirmed. The cancellation charges for such tickets are payable as applicable to the confirmed tickets.
Earlier cancellation of the waitlisted or the RAC Tatkal tickets was allowed 24 hours before the departure of the train. Now, you can cancel waitlisted/ RAC tatkal tickets 30 minutes before the departure of the train from the origin station as per the train schedule. If the waitlisted or RAC tickets do not get confirmed, then they are automatically canceled and the passengers are issued a refund. A nominal charge of Rs 60 per passenger will be deducted and the remaining amount will be refunded to the passenger.
How to Book Tatkal Tickets Online through the IRCTC website?
Getting a confirmed Tatkal ticket is not that easy as it appears! Since the bookings are available for a limited time, the IRCTC ticketing window would witness a tremendous amount of traffic. Add to it, with the availability of offline reservation counters, it is a daunting task to get a confirmed tatkal ticket. You can book a Tatkal ticket online through the IRCTC website either through the laptop or mobile. Follow the steps below to book IRCTC tatkal tickets online:
- Log in to the IRCTC website using your credentials. Enter the Captcha and click login.
- You need to log in to the website about 5-10 minutes before the start of the booking. Ticket booking for AC classes commence from 10 am and for non-AC classes, it is 11 am.
- Select origin station, date, ticket type, quota as tatkal and click on “Find Trains.”
- Enter the passenger details along with ID card details and the mobile number.
- You can then proceed to the payment to complete the transaction.